Toyota Family Teacher of the Year
The National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) is seeking educators to be nominated for the 2018 Toyota Family Teacher of the Year Award. This esteemed award recognizes the positive impact of teachers who engage families through exemplary practices in school and community-based educational programming.
Along with recognition, this award comes with a $20,000 grant to implement innovative ideas for expanding the award recipient’s program to benefit families and/or to engage more families. One runner-up will be awarded $5,000. In addition, both winners will receive their awards September 24-26, 2018, in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, at the 2018 Families Learning Conference. Both will receive a scholarship and travel stipend to participate. (Conference attendance is required to receive the awards.)
NCFL is committed to promoting the winning educator’s success by sharing participating family stories and highlighting the impact of the $20,000 grant award on the designated program. Applications will be evaluated using the following award selection criteria.
- Winning educators must work for a school or community-based program that engages families in the educational process.
- The location of the program must be in the United States of America.
- Winning educators will be asked to participate in NCFL’s extensive outreach activities to promote their practices and programs; including, but not limited to, participation in the Families Learning Conference.
- Award funds must be expended between October 2018 and October 2019.
- Award winners will commit to sharing program and family stories with NCFL on an ongoing basis, particularly through requested communications throughout the year, including an end-of-year report.
- Family educators must be nominated by someone who knows the nominee’s work well and has extensive knowledge of the nominee’s strengths, approaches, and collective positive impact on behalf of children, families, and other professionals.
Winning Award Criteria
In addition to the requirements stated above, NCFL wants to reward family teachers who:
- Serve parents and children using a strong intergenerational approach to helping them learn together in innovative ways.
- Have a demonstrated record of success.
- Have the capacity to implement innovative ideas for expanding their program to benefit families and/or to engage more families.
- Serve communities and families with high literacy and socioeconomic needs.
- Can communicate successful practices to other colleagues across the nation.
As part of the application, the nominator will be required to complete a nomination letter of 7,000 characters or less, including spaces. Please include answers to the following questions in your nomination letter. You will have the option to include attachments, such as photos, videos, and other forms of media. These attachments do not count against the character count. Clarity and brevity are encouraged.
Questions to answer in the nomination letter
- Why does your nominee deserve to be the Toyota Family Teacher of the Year more than any other school- or community-based teacher in the country? Please support your answer with evidence (i.e., anecdotes, observations, results).
- In what innovative ways has your nominee engaged low-income and/or minority families in the educational work of your organization? Please support your answer with evidence (i.e., anecdotes, observations, results).
- How has your nominee partnered with others to maximize the benefits of family engagement in education? Please support your answer with evidence (i.e., anecdotes, observations, results).
- How has your nominee influenced the work of other professionals in family engagement efforts? Please support your answer with evidence (i.e., anecdotes, observations, results).
- Please share the story of a family or families who have been positively impacted by the work of the nominee. In addition to your written response, you have the option to upload a photo, video, or other form of media here.