The National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) is seeking student speakers for the 2020 Families Learning Conference. This event will be held Oct. 19-21 at the Renaissance Dallas Addison in Dallas, Texas. NCFL will pay travel, accommodation, and related expenses for the student speakers and one guest per student.
Each year during our Conference, students share their learning stories with attendees during General Sessions (a time when all attendees are gathered together at once). Having students share their stories of determination, hard work, and achievement inspires us all.
- Applicants must have attended a family literacy or family learning program with a two-generational learning component and completed at least one year in the program.
- Applicants must have at least three public speaking experiences (in class/school, in front of local groups and/or local or state conferences), as well as at least one public speaking experience in front of a group of 50–100 attendees.
- Applicants must share their family literacy journey and include information about how attending a family literacy/family learning program has positively impacted their lives.
- Applicants must share the strategies they have developed for supporting their children’s academic development, their extended family, and/or their community.
- Applicants must share how they found their way to economic and family success through family literacy/family learning services.
- A staff member from the family literacy/family learning program must be available to coach or guide the student speaker as they write and prepare to present the speech.
- All required forms must be completed and submitted to NCFL by Friday, June 19, 2020.
- The speech must be submitted to NCFL for approval and/or suggested modifications by Monday, July 6, 2020.
- Family photos should be professionally taken and submitted to NCFL by Friday, July 17, 2020. (NCFL will pay for the photos to be taken.)
- The student speaker must be willing to travel to Dallas, arrive on Sunday, October 18, and be available for an on-site practice session the evening of October 18 prior to the start of the Families Learning Conference on October 19.
This application may be completed by the student or someone nominating a student.
For your convenience, you can download a PDF version of this application to view all questions before beginning your nomination.
Nominations are due at 11:59 p.m. PDT on Friday, May 1, 2020. For assistance or questions, please contact Carrie Wohlschlegel at firstname.lastname@example.org.